I’m just going to come out and say it – I don’t like cooking. Of any sort. At all. Cue horrified gasps…
But I was desperate for some cake to ease the lockdown lows and I came across a recipe for “healthy carrot cake”. Who says you can’t eat your way out of this pandemic?
Seeing as we have allergies in the family, I tend to adapt recipes when I do cook or bake. Below is my version. The recipe has very little honey, a lot of carrot and is nut- and gluten-free but you can change it up to your tastes.
The entire family went mad for these and it cured my cake craving without a huge amount of guilt.
I think I might actually make a batch every week. Cue more gasps- this time from myself!
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1/4 cup butter – melted
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 medium sized carrots – grated
- 1 cup flour (I used Schar universal)
- 3/4 cups quick cook oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Mix together wet ingredients, putting in carrots last.
- Add in dry ingredients.
- Plop the batter into a cake tin or cupcake moulds. I used these silicone cupcake trays that I ordered from Amazon a few months ago along with the bowl scraper. They are a game changer.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes.
Let me know if you tried this and made any changes. I’d love to know how other versions turned out!